Our First Blog Ever

This is our first blog we'll see how it turns out

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First international flight (for some of us)

It started out a beautiful sunny day as we left our home to experience the unknown of international travel. (No, this isn't a Twilght Zone moment). For months we had wondrously contemplated the joy of being with our family, our son and family in Iquique, Chile. It has been three and a half years since we had seen them in person. Now, the day had finally arrived. All was calm and quiet as we left McAllen, Texas, where we live. It's really not a big deal or hassle flying from city to city. We were to fly first to Dallas. All went as normal as you might expect in a big airport. Upon arrival at Dallas we waited shortly for the plane to be rerouted from one gate to another, as they always do in big hubs, causing concern for two members of the family. We disembarked the plane, and began searching for the next gate. We were rescued by a shuttle cart which drove us to our next gate. We realized then that we might not have caught the next flight because it was a very great distance indeed being on the opposite end of the airport. We left at 9 p.m. for the nonstop overnigt flight to Santiago. We found it very pleasant. We had no problem with the international flight itself. I mean, let's face it, they offer movies, good meals, and plenty of drinks to keep you going to the bathroom for hours. After all that pampering, the crowd settled down with lights turning off and the attempt to become comfortable enough to fall asleep. We found it very difficult to do. We were becoming more tired by the hour without beneficial sleep. The real problem, however, was when we arrived to Santiago, Chile. We had several individuals explain what we needed to do to enter the country, but, as often occurs, Murphy Law presides over us. We had to follow three steps. First, get in a long line to pay our entry fee into the country; that went as expected. We were pleased to see the long lines move quickly. Second step was to get our passport stamped. When we presented our passports, the young lady told us that the three of us needed to fill out a form. So, to the forms table we went, filled them out, and reported back to the young lady, handed her our three forms along with our passport expecting to go the next final step. She explaind the three of us needed duplicate copies, one for us and one for her. Frustrated, tired, and anxious back to the table we again went to make duplicates. We handed her our duplicates, she stamped our passorts, and we hurriedly went to the third and final step. We picked up our suitcases, and put them on the scanning belt, only to discover that one suitcase had to be opended to check the contents. However, before it could be opened, we were asked if we filled out a customs report. We had not done it earlier when they passed out the forms to others on the plane because we were told erroneously it was not necessary until we got to Iquique. Now, at Santiago an inspector told us that only one paper needed to be filled out. Then another inspector told us all three of us had to fill one out. We finished that step and hurriedly went to another long line to check in for our final flight. Meantime, the minutes were ticking away and it seemed like we were going to miss our final flight to Iquique. As we finally boarded our plane bound for Iquique, Kathy and Pedro sat in their seats sighing a breath of relief, thanking the Lord that in two hours we were going to be with family after 18 hours of traveling. At last in Iquique, it was a joy to see our son at the airport and to arrive in their home into the open arms of Stephanie, Eva Isabel, Owen, Ian and Alec. Now the Adventure Begins!

1 comment:

  1. With all that drama you are no longer travel virgins! Congratulations!!! Love hearing about your adventures.